Guide for NU Members
Engineering Library consists of five libraries: Central Engineering Library and four Department Libraries (Chemical and Biological Library, Electrical and Information Library, Mechanical and Aerospace Library, and Civil Engineering Library). The following guide are common to all five libraries.
User policy (Japanese)
- Please bring your student or staff ID card when you enter library.
- Keep valuables in your possession at all times.
Please be quiet at the library.
No food or drink.
Do not use mobile phones. No smoking.
Please Cooperate against Infectious Diseases
- Please refrain from coming to the library if you have symptoms such as a fever or cold.
- Please disinfect your fingers and wash your hands when entering the library.
- Depending on the number of visitors, limited entry may also be enforced.
- Please keep your distance.
- We take the following measures against infectious diseases: disinfecting equipment, ventilation, installing plastic curtains at the library counter to prevent droplet infection.
- All the materials in the libraries are accessible freely (except audio-visual materials).
- After browsing library materials, please return them to where they were.
- If you need to use audio-visual materials, please contact the service desk.
- Holding materials can search using OPAC. We hold the materials whose Holding library is displayed as "Eng".
- In the OPAC, if the status of a material is “in laboratory”, it means that the material is currently being used in the laboratory. If you want to use the material, please contact the service desk.
Arrange and Location
- Books are arranged from left to right, top to bottom. First, in the order of the classification number printed on the first column of the spine label. And then, in the alphabetical order of the author symbol (the first letter or letters of the author's last name) printed on the second column.
The classification number and the author symbol are collectively called the "Call Number" and can be checked on the OPAC.
- Journals are arranged in alphabetical order of the titles. (Non-Japanese: ABC, Japanese: Kana)
|Eng Central Lib
Eng Central Lib in stack
Eng Central Lib Archit Books
|Books||Central Engineering Library|
|Eng Central Lib Journal||Journals||Central Engineering Library|
|Eng Chem Bio Lib||Books, Journals||Chemical and Biological Library|
|Eng Mol Macromol Chem
Eng Mater Chem
|Please contact Chemical and Biological Library|
|Eng Appl Phys
Eng Mater Phys
Eng Appl Energy
Eng Common Fac
Eng Nuclear Fac
Eng Future Soc
|Please contact Central Engineering Library|
|Eng Mater Design
Eng Mater Prc
Eng Chem Sys
|Please contact Chemical and Biological Library or Central Engineering Library|
|Eng Elec Info Lib||Books, Journals||Electrical and Information Library|
Eng Info Comm
|Please contact Electrical and Information Library|
|Eng Mech Aero Lib||Books, Journals||Mechanical and Aerospace Library|
|Please contact Mechanical and Aerospace Library|
|Eng Civil Lib||Books, Journals||Civil Engineering Library|
|Eng Civil Environ||Books, Journals
|Please contact Civil Engineering Library|
- To borrow materials, please submit your ID card and materials at the service desk.
- You can temporarily borrow non-circulating materials (such as journals) to make a photocopy. Please fill out an application form and return them on the same day.
- The number of loans is counted as the total of what is borrowed in the Engineering Central Library and Department Libraries.
|Engineering||5 items/14 days||3 items/temporary loan||Other Department||3 items/14 days|
- Renewals can be made up to twice before the due date unless reservation has been made by another library user.
- Renewals can be made online or at the service desk with your materials before the due date. You will not be able to renew your reservation if it is over the due date.→[Guide Sheet：Confirm status / Renew due date ]
- Return the materials at the counter or put them in the Book Drop outside library.
- Returned materials will be kept for a certain period of time until the next loan. As a result, even books in stock may not be available immediately.
- If materials are not returned on time, your borrowing privileges will be suspended for a certain period.
- Library materials borrowed from another library should be returned to the library from which it was borrowed.
- It is possible to reserve books on loan. Search it on the OPAC, click the "Reserve" button and log in with Nagoya Univ. ID/Password.→[Guide Sheet: Reserve Books That are Currently on Loan]
- You will be informed via E-mail or phone call when the book is available. Please come to the library to pick up.
Only a partial copy of library items is permitted within the limits specified by the Copyright Law Article 31.
- Please fill in a photocopy application form and submit to service desk with your student/staff ID.
- If you have a copy card in your laboratory, please bring it.
- You can temporarily borrow non-circulating materials (such as journals) to make a photocopy. Please fill out an application form.
- Please return them on the same day.
- Please allow enough time for applying to make photocopy so that you can return the materials before the library closes.
You can request materials from other universities that are not owned by Nagoya University. Please click here for more information.
Visiting Other Libraries
- You can use libraries of other universities with a Nagoya University ID Card, but some libraries may require an appointment in advance or/and a letter of introduction to use their library resources. Please check the library guides of visiting library or contact the Engineering Library.
- Please observe the rules of the libraries.
Book purchase request is available for students of the School/Graduate school of Engineering, and of the affiliated departments.
- Purchased books are added to the Engineering Library.
- Books to request are limited to those the libraries of the Engineering Library do not have.
- Please note that we may not be able to meet your request depending on the content and budget.
- The time of purchase may be at the end of the year.
- You can also request for Central Library.
How to Request
- Please fill out the following items in the text and send it to libengt.mail.nagoya-u.ac.jp by e-mail.
- Subject: Purchase Request
Series Title (Vol, No.)：
Status [Undergraduate Students, Graduate Students]：
Reason for Purchase Request：
E-resource recommendation form (for faculty only)
The Engineering Library requests information on electronic resources that are useful for learning.
- Only e-resources that are available for institutional purchase are accepted.
- Only books that are not owned by the Engineering Library. (Excluding books that are distributed by laboratories).
- Books may not be purchased due to reasons such as content, budget, application requirements, etc.
- Please fill out this form.
- You will need a mechanism account to fill out the form.